It’s another Thursday and it’s time for some throwbacks. Are you ready for some nostalgic emotions, hop on and ride with me. Today we will going to the late 90s and early 2000s when music was all about groups and all, we will be talking about five popular musical groups that won the heart of Nigerians back in the day. If you don’t any of these groups then you are either still drinking from the feeding bottle or you were not born, just call me with respect when you see me *winks*. These groups do not exist anymore as some of them tried doing solo albums and all of that.
- REMEDIES: this group was a pioneer for hiphop music in Nigeria, it had three members, and the groups consists of the controversial rapper Eedris Abdulkareem, Eddy Montana and Tony Tetuila. Together they birthed a new generation of Afro Pop. Some of their songs include shakomo, shade etc.
- PLANTANSHUN BOIZ: this is another beautilful hiphop and R&B music group, it consisted of Innocent Idibia (Tuface), Chibuzor Oji (Faze) and Ahmedu Augustine Obiano (Blackface). The group released three albums together and are remembered for songs like Say You Believe Me, You and I and Plantashun Boiz.
- STYL PLUS: I remember this group like it was yesterday. The group Styl-Plus(originally STYL) is a Nigerian gospel and pop musical group / quartet The founding members were Shifi Emoefe, Tunde Akinsanmi, Yemi Akinwonmi, and Lanre Faneyi, the name STYL being an abbreviation of the founders first names. In 1998 Lanre Faneyi died, and Zeal Onyecheme joined the group. This led to the group being renamed Styl-Plus, the “Plus” denoting the new addition to the group. In 2002 Yemi Akinwonmi left the group and the musical band became a trio without adding a new member. Starting 2003, the group had its own record label, STYL-PLUS. The group was popular for sings like Olufunmi, call my name, Iya Bashira, Run away etc.
- ZULE-ZOO: The group was popular for its hit song ‘Kerewa’, which was banned for obscene content. The duo Mike Aboh and Ibrahim Alhassan were the members of the group and they sure made some good music.
- MO’HITS: This group was way popular and they made good music. The group was founded in 2004 and co-owned by Micheal Ajereh Collins (better known as Don Jazzy) and Dapo Oyebanjo (known as D’Banj – or Skibanj like his Jamaican friends called him’!). It became a label that signed various artistes such as Wande Coal, D’Prince, Dr Sid and K-Switch. They will be rem hit singles, a few of which are Tongolo, Mo Bo Lowo Won, Socor, Why Me, Rundown, Pere, Booty Call, Fall In Love, Gbona Felifeli, Igwe, Taboo. the group promised a reunion tour soon and we can’t wait.
you know some other groups, tell us in the comments session.
Image(s) source: Google.