Thursdays are for throwbacks and you know that, I hope the weather is fair to you though? Back to our gist. Today we are throwing way back to the days Telenovas were always stealing the show and a lot of us couldn’t wait for the next episode. AIT was the real deal, they served us those original Telenovas
Let’s talk a little about Telenova, before Zee world and Telemundo came to the screen and took over the government, we had Telenovas and is a type of limited-run serial drama originally from Spain and popular on South-east Asian, Latin American, East Asian, South Asian, Arab World, Portuguese and Spanish television networks.
Telenovelas are different from US-style soap opera in that they rarely continue for more than a year. This makes them shorter than soap opera, but still much longer than serials. They were such a beautiful addiction. Let’s talk about five of them but please if by chance you know none of them just call me ‘aunty’ when next you see me.
- WHEN YOU ARE MINE: This one was a major hit, seas mía was a Mexican telenovela that was originally released between 2001 and 2002 but aired in Nigeria around 2005 and 2006. It featured Silvia Navarro as Teresa Suarez or Paloma and Sergio Basañez as Diego Sanchez-Serrano. The two were in love and they had to conquer all odds to make their love work.
- PASSIONS: Passions is an American soap opera which follows the lives and loves, and various romantic and paranormal adventures of the residents of Harmony. The storylines centers on the interactions among members of its multi-racial core families.
- CATALINA AND SEBASTIAN: Remember Catalina and Sebastian? Portrayed by the same duo in When You Are Mine? Yeah. Same guys. Sebastian, a rich heir fell in love with Catalina, a simple girl with an opportunist mother and brother. They also had to make their love work
- THE GARDEN’S DAUGHTER: this was also one of our favourites back then, because we could stare at Carlos Eduardo’s face all day and even more at Louisa Fernanda’s smile.
- THE SECOND CHANCE: This one gave some serious suspense that we were always eager to see the next all the time. Imagine what happens when the rich man, Pedro Jose Do Noso comes back as Salvador Cerinza? It beats my imagination!
What was your favourite telenova? Tell us in the comments session.